Would you like to host a Foodcycle Week or Event in your home town? It’s really very easy!
Five Steps to Start Your Own Foodcycle Week
- Contact us and we’ll supply you with a four-color flyer that you can customize to include the name(s) of the non-profit(s) that you’d like to support.
- Prepare a list of your local food banks, soup kitchens and shelters. Search online and just cut-and-paste the search engine results into a word processing document.
- Call through the list and ask each non-profit the questions listed below.
- Now just customize the flyer to include the name, address, phone number and website of each non-profit. Share the flyer with your friends, neighbors, school parents, coworkers, and church.
- Share your plans on Facebook, Twitter and other social media!
Questions to Ask
- Will you take donations of fresh produce from gardeners?
- What is your level of need–occasional or urgent?
- Do you have special needs at certain times of the year, like holidays?
- Is there any particular type of vegetable or fruit you need?
- Are there certain days and times that you are open to receive produce?
- Would you like me to email you a flyer to share with your mailing list?
- Who am I speaking with, and what’s your position?
Want to Go Big?
That’s really all there is to it, but if you want to really go big, here are some other ideas:
- Ask vendors at your local farmer’s market to hand out printed flyers
- Contact local garden clubs and ask them to email your flyer to their members (you can find local garden clubs on Facebook)
- Ask your local garden centers and home supply stores to hand out printed flyers and share your flyer in their customer newsletters
- Create a press release or write an article and send it to your local newspapers, radio stations and television anchors. If you don’t know how, contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I will send you a custom press release for free.
And please remember to take LOTS of photos! Share them on social media and send them to me. I’ll share them here on my blog and my social media!